THE "INNOCENT" by Nicole Barth [10/20/10]

Don't think that I've forgotten--
don't think that I don't know, 
that you would've sung praises 
to the Devil 
down below 

if it meant you could have 
              hidden in the spice cabinet
              for a moment longer, 
              mingling with Rosemary 
              and "unripened tomatoes" 
              while stealing my Thyme.

But did you care?
And were you there?
When the jowls 
of
a four-legged curmudgeon 
sunk into the pillows of 
Dan's three year old cheeks?
Weren't you the one 
on the other side of my frantic phone call--
his bewildered gaze immobilizing me; 
as I wallowed in a puddle of stupor and shock?

And weren't you the one 
who shrugged through your words, 
nonchalantly reminding me why rubbing alcohol 
was invented as I watched
droplets of scarlet trickle down his lips, 
eventually catapulting themselves off of his chin?


And haven't I always been the one
sprinting for the wet rag and band-aid?
And aren't I the one that tucks him in at 
night and ruffles the shock of midnight hair on his head?

...And yet you still feel entitled to those three words, 
and you still expect me to pretend.














           

No comments:

Post a Comment