MONDAY MORNING by Nicole Barth [11/15/10]


If the mahogany cascade trickles down my back in the right way
and I end up planning my outfit the night before,
do you think I could will it to happen?

Could stretching my lungs until they
spontaneously combust as my shins begin to crack
on my way to the train station
will it to happen?

Or does he have to feel it churning in his gut
as he shrugs on his pitch black leather jacket
at six in the morning?

I wonder if the car grease
must choose to mingle
with his cereal bowl
so that the clock's arms
will align to our favor.

So that steel limousine can
push through the caliginosity
of its underground zip-line
and rope him into the same
container as me.


But today I'm guessing
the Spanish-speaking flirt that
reclines while bathed in sheets of silk
had plans for the the two of us.

Swirls of aged copper and lime peel
traced the contours of his burnt sienna eyes.
And I couldn't help it. Crimson paint coursed through
my veins and nestled into my cheeks.

The faint traces of after-shave and scented hair jell
wafted toward me as he sat down next to me,
slouching slightly in his customary cansado y relajado manner.
He yawned and slouched even more, but the smile that was slowly
tugging at the corner of his gentle lips told me all I needed to know.

Grogginess complicated verb conjugations in my mind as I stumbled
through Spanglitalianish in an effort to see him laugh.

The two of us were caught in a moment of silence,
eloquently cursing the perpetual Mondays in our heads
when he leaned against me.

And I could tell he wasn't about to blame it on
the man-shaped lard sitting next to him
or the jolting of the train car.

It didn't matter that speaking English
seemed like an impossible task to him this morning.
And it didn't matter that my vocabulary was muddled.

All I know is that the off-white tiles
of my stop could not have predicted this.
And no Monday morning has grinned this openly before.

Quédate conmigo....No te vayas,” he murmured.

2 comments:

  1. Its amazing. Hey, im the guy that was talking to you on Omegle. Sorry, My computer froze. You dont have to talk to me anymore, I was just letting you know you can If you want to

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey! Thank you so much for the compliments. :)

    ReplyDelete